Wednesday, June 4, 2008

A "What The?" Moment

Still no news when the computer will be back. Hopefully next week sometime, so I can't post any new photos.

I've been having a disasterous time over the last 24 hours. It has been raining quite heavily since the weekend and it is also misty up here in the mountains, especially where I live. Last night when I went to get my husband from the train, I had a major tyre blowout on the highway where they are doing highway roadworks. They are putting in an extra 2 lanes. The road between Katoomba and Leura has become simply shocking with potholes everywhere. This is a major Highway between Sydney and the West (Outback).

Outside the Hospital (quite appropriate) there was a HUGE pothole that you couldn't see in the dark wet conditions. You guessed it I hit it and heard such a loud bang and I said to myself "What the Hell was that". I thought I was a goner for a moment or two but the car seemed to be handling ok and as I only had a short distance to travel I thought I'd try to carry on to the Station to the damage. As I went along I discovered that there was no where to pull over to check as all available pulling over spots were already full with people checking their cars and all were changing tyres. There were cars everywhere. At one spot it looked like a used car spot.

Anyway to cut a long story short I discovered that I also had a flat tyre and that there were around 20 of us in similar situations. I think I am lucky as some of them apparently have front end damage as well. At this stage I have to get a new front tyre which I have been quoted at $155.

After my DH had changed the tyre there were a few men looking at the hole (what is this with men and holes) and directing people away from it. This morning, I had to go and take photos of the hole and the damaged tyre to lodge a claim with the RTA. Would you believe that they haven't filled the hole/s in yet. All they have done is put witches hats around the hole. The part of the Highway where this happened isn't that wide and we have all these semi-trailers rattling along. It is a wonder that someone hasn't been killed there or injured. I found out while at the tyre place that apparently this hole had been reported to the contractors at 7a.m. yesterday morning. A good case of hmmmmm.

On the stitching front I have been working on not only Beatrix Potter, but Sarah Moon as well. I started Sarah early last year on 32ct and did a little bit. I couldn't make up my mind whether to carry on with her or wait and start again on 40ct. She is beautiful, but I was a bit worried about the size of the finished sampler, as my house isn't that big and I'm running out of hanging space. I decided to carry on last Friday and have been working on her. So I have 2 Needleprint Samplers on the go. Decided that when they are finished, I will replace some of the earlier works with them.

Well that is my excitement for the day. I hope you all have a lovely week and I'm looking forward to getting our other computer back.


Update on pot hole situation - apparently 22 people turned up yesterday at our local tyre shop to get replacement tyres. One poor man had 2 tyres that had to be replaced. Then how many other people have replaced their tyre/s and travelled down further to another tyre shop.

Would you believe this is Thursday today and 2 days after the event and they still haven't fixed it. - Sorry if I'm ranting about this, but gee wiz what does it take to fix a HUGE pot hole.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree - a disgraceful piece of road and no considerations for motorists being shown by the road gang members or their executive/s. Persue your claim with the RTA - I came through there tonight from Sydney and the road was all but impassable.

Wendy said...

It sounds like that pothole will only be fixed when someone gets seriously injured...or a big-wig hits it and then makes a phone call!

Lapplisor said...

Hello, dear Sandra
I read here, with open mouth, which passed everything to you. Unbelievably, which luck you had thereby still.
I wish you a problem-free reimbursement of the tire damage.
I am pleased, if your PC again repaired up to then.
I wish actual you a good work on your Stitching.
Also in Germany is a tempest time, but in Sweden it is very hot here.
Barbara

Crazee4books said...

Hi Sandra,

What a shocking situation with those potholes!! As you say, it's a wonder someone hasn't had a serious accident because of them, and that one in particular. Hope you can get the money for your new tire out of the department responsible since they should be held responsible for the damage. Is it your local government?

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on your samplers and hope you get your computer back soon. It's hard being without one these days isn't it??

Temperatures around here this weekend have soared into the 80's, and higher. I don't like the heat and so am hiding in the house. We have the air on, but not too high because we don't want to be that cold and we don't want to have to pay the electric bills for it. So drapes are pulled to keep the hot sun out.

At least it's nice to sit out in the evening and stitch.

Cheers!