Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Update on WIP and more Parrots in Bird Feeder

This is my process on Karen's Long Dog Sampler "The Token". It is moving along nicely and hopefully it will be finished late next week. I think I have 3 half motifs on the edges and a few small things to do along with A Token of Love motif. It is stitched on 40 ct linen and when it is finished and framed Karen is going to hang it in her shop Dragonfly Dreams. I hope she likes it.

We have a lot of beautiful birds fly into our garden. On the weekend we had a visit from about 12 Galahs. I was lucky enough to be able to photograph two of them in the bird feeder. The rest were on the ground. Sally our dog unfortunately likes to chase them every now and then. But we have to be careful of our neighbors cat who comes and stalks them. Luckily for all of the birds the cat and dog are too slow.

The one on the bottom is a Sulpher Crested Cockatoo. Lots of people usually have them in a cage. Usually we have a couple fly in and visit us every day, although if we have to many of them we go and chase them as they are a bit destructive. They will come into a garden and cut the stems off the flowers like poppies etc. half way up a stalk. They are notorious for destroying wood work around houses. Wooden railings on verandas are a particular favourite. My parents had to get a new steel railing around their veranda because of them.
A lot of the larger parrots usually fly in flocks and we often see them among the trees eating gum nuts or fruit in our fruit trees.

Most of the parrots that we see in our garden are the crimson Rozella's and King Parrots, Galahs, Sulpher Crested Cockatoos, Yellow Winged Black Cockatoos, Major Mitchells, Lorikeets. We have a Bower Bird down the back of the garden and occasionally we see them but they are very shy. We also have Gang Gangs but you don't see them very often. They are also parrots and are very beautiful.are really lucky we get to see Gang Gangs.

9 comments:

Barbara J said...

The Token is coming along nicely. Mine is still a WIP :( Love the bird pics :)

Anonymous said...

Where do you live, i.e. where do these parrots come from? How intrigueing, parrots, who would have thought. Your LDS looks absolutely splendid!

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

You've got a virtual bird paradise in your back yard! WOW! To see them flying free :)
I love the sampler! It is looking great and it's going to be smashing all done up!

Jane said...

Great progress! I am looking forward to seeing it finished. You actually have parrots fly into your garden?

Ranae said...

The Token in looking great.
I love to feed the birds, but have nothing compared to what you have.

Crazee4books said...

Hi Sandra,

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. It was so nice hearing from you, and I just had to come right over and visit your blog.

Ah Victoria Magazine...was there ever a more beautiful magazine ever published??? Each issue was a work of art. I'd sit down with a new issue and a cup of tea, and read it cover to cover.

I heard about it being published again from another Canadian blogger who mentioned it matter-of-factly in one of her comments. I'd had no idea up until then that it was going to be brought back to life. I immediately googled the name and found the official website. And I ordered a subscription then and there!! I can't wait for it to arrive.

Sandra, if you can't find it in Oz would you like me to see if it will be available at our news stands and send you a copy?? I wouldn't mind helping out a fellow Victoria fan.
my e mail is: crazee4books@hotmail.com
Let me know your address if you're interested and I'll see what I can manage.

Now...about your stitching....

GASP!!!!!!!!!!!

I have never seen so many beautiful, gorgeous, incredible samplers in one place (blog) before. I am having such a wonderful time looking at closeups of each one.

I have some old issues of Cross Stitch and Country Crafts too. I use to collect them back in the early 90's when I first began to stitch. I stopped buying them when I drifted away from stitching for 10 years and I believe that during that time it, and several other x-stitch magazines from the States all folded. A shame really.

I also have a book "101 Best Loved Designs from Cross Stitch and Country Crafts. Ah, the memories these magazines bring back.

I love the bird pictures that you're posting too. We feed the birds here too but we don't have quite the impressive array of avian plummage that your's do. I guess if a bird poops on your head in Oz (at least one of those Parrots) then you'd know about it!! Lol!

Take care Sandra.

Christine said...

The Token is so beautiful !

Kajsa said...

The parrots are so pretty, what an awesome way to see them.

Your token is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

[…]Good Tool.When you have number of blog..so it really helpful to share article,link,bookmarks and more..[…]