Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Winchester and Cornwall

I know I have been very slack lately blogging, but since my DH retired life has been very busy. 

I don't have any stitching to show as I haven't done much more on Eleanor Parr since my last post.  I have been working on a project that I have always wanted to try and do.  That is to try and chart for myself the first sampler that I fell in love with a very long time ago.  It's in the V&A and I'm working from a few photos of it that I have.  It's my interpretation of this particular sampler.

Anyway, I thought that you might like to see some more photos of our trip to England earlier in the year.


One of the places we went to was Winchester Abbey as I wanted to visit Jane Austen's grave again.  Think this is my 3rd visit to visit Jane.




I live visiting Churches and Cathedrals.  You see the most interesting things there and Cathedrals have the most beautiful stained glass windows.


One of my favourite places in England is Cornwall.  I think it comes from reading and loving all of Daphne du Mauriers books and also Winston Graham's Poldark.  We just finished watching the new series of it here in Australia.  It was truly wonderful.  I remember watching the older series in the 1970's.  I love how the original Ross Poldark makes a few appearances in the new series.  If you haven't seen it yet, he plays the Reverend who is also the Magistrate.


These are a couple of the ruins of tin mines that you see around Cornwall.



One of my favourite places off the coast of  Cornwall is St Michels Mount.  It was lively to also see Mont St Michel in France. 


One of the places that we had to visit is Padstow.  I have a Cornish Ancestor who came from Padstow.  Have always wondered why she came to Australia.  She wasn't a convict and came on her own I think.


Love Cornwalls narrow streets, although my husband will tell another story lol.  It gets a bit hairy when you have to pass another vehicle.



This is the most amazing place.  It's called Minack Theatre.  It was built by a lady and her gardener.  It took them a long time to build.  
 



Beautiful Cornish sunset.


Mullion 


The helicopter is a Naval one that was flying around on some mission.  The sailors on board waved to us while we were at The Minack Theatre.
 

The Poldark Mine.



Lands End.  The end of England.




Sorry I seem to have pasted this twice and can't figure out how to delete it without starting again.



Had to throw in another Church with a grave yard 😄



I had to add this little fellow.  I love Robins and this one was very friendly.  We have Robins that come into our Garden sometimes.  I love standing at the kitchen window washing up when they and the Finches  and Wrens get into a big bush rose that I have.  I think that they might be an introduced spiecies to Australia.  I know that the Colonists brought a lot of animals here to remind them of home.  These are one of their good introductions.

3 comments:

Melissa said...

It's so lovely to see these photos of your trip, Sandra! Cornwall is one place I would love to visit!

marly said...

I know absolutely nothing about areas of England. Poldhu Cove and Cornwall I heard of - from Nicola's blog Land's End - that's where I order my clothes. And there's one in England!! LOL!!

Margaret said...

Such a fun post! I wish we had the chance to go outside London, but I'm happy with London. So nice that you are sharing more pics from your trip! Hope you and Bob are enjoying retired life.