Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Update on Queen Mary's Rug

I don't know if you remember, a few years ago I posted a few photos from a book that I have that had belonged to one of my Great Grandmothers and it was about Queen Mary

Among the photos there was a really interesting story about how Queen Mary started working on this beautiful Needlepoint Rug. She worked on it from 1941 until 1950. When she finished it she decided to give it to the Nation so that funds could be raised to help the war effort. I thought that you might be as interested as I was to see this stunning rug. I would really love to see it in person, but that isn't possible. Canada is a long way from Australia.

The above photo is of Queen Elizabeth (I think she was still Queen at this time and hadn't become the Queen Mother) and Princess Margaret looking at this amazing rug.

Here she is stitching in the Garden. Only a very regal Queen would sit in the garden dressed this way I am sure.

Today, some very kind person has sent me a link to see this wonderful rug in colour. I would like to say Thank You. I really appreciate it as I have always wondered what it looked like in all its glory. Isn't it beautiful.

The rug is in the National Gallery of Canada and because of its fragile nature apparently isn't on show.


Click onto this link to read all about this beautiful rug and how it ended up being in Canada. http://cybermuse.gallery.ca/cybermuse/search/artwork_e.jsp?mkey=3562

Queen Mary started this rug in 1941 when she was 69 and finished it in 1950.

I haven't done very much on my Ann Grant as my DH had a fall a couple of weeks ago and sprained his Lateral Ligament in his Right Knee. He has been home since than on crutches. The treatment for this injury is similar to having a broken bone which is just rest and keep off it. He fell while taking the little dog next door home in the dark. The dog had gotten out and was wandering around on the road and had nearly been run over. My DH fell in our neighbours drive way. My Son is also on School Holidays at the moment, so between the two of them, not a lot of stitching is being done lol.

15 comments:

Nancy said...

That rug is gorgeous! Thanks for posting about it.

Sorry your husband had a fall. Hope his knee heals quickly. It's no fun to have to use crutches.

Enjoy having your son home this week!

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

How interesting! The rug is gorgeous - so nice to see it in color. It would take me a lot longer than it did Queen Mary to finish something of that size. Whew!

Alice said...

Wow, thanks for the link. I hope your dh heals soon; having injured himself doing a good deed, it really should be so! Have fun with school holidays.

Margaret said...

It's so beautiful! How interesting about Queen Mary and all. Just watched The King's Speech and of course Queen Mary was in that. Thanks for the link! Hope your DH heals quickly -- not fun to have him out of commission.

Jeanne said...

Thanks for posting this - it's awe-inspiring! I would NEVER finish something this big but maybe when you're queen you have more time to stitch LOL. Queen Mary always looked so serious and imposing in photos but good to know she had a soft spot for needlework (and jeweley...). Did you know Barbara Bush also did needlepoint? You can see one of her rugs here that supposedly took her 8-9 years to complete: http://bushlibrary.tamu.edu/image.php?id=2465

Deb said...

That rug is gorgeous. How I'd love to see that one in person.

Hope that your husband is better soon. It's no fun being laid up or having to use crutches.

Don't let Lachlan run you too hard!!

Valerie said...

The rug is breathtaking! WOW! I love the picture of Queen Mary stitching in the garden!

I hope your husband is back on his feet again soon. I understand his pain...I have had knee problems since playing volleyball in school. I have had knee surgery and all! I do hope that he feels better soon!

Ann Grant is looking great! I hope that you are able to find some quality time with her soon!

marly said...

Thanks for sharing - that's an amazing accomplishment. Sorry your husband has to endure the pain after being so kind. Hope the neighbor appreciates his saving their pet.

Siobhán said...

Wow, that was neat to read about the rug!

I'm sorry to hear about your husband's fall. What a great guy, helping a little dog not get hurt! Hang in there--I know it's hard when the DHs are home, especially when they're recouperating!

♥marylin♥ said...

very beautiful,

Happy Easter !!

marly said...

I just read your comment and THANK YOU for the idea! I love it. Unfortunately, I inherited several very old solid wood stands with various hoops and since I don't use them, gave them all away!! The Amish got a few and I think I need to make a trip to Goodwill to see if the others are still there!

Michelle said...

The rug is stunning! Thank you so much for posting it. And I am sorry to hear about your DH - I hope he heals soon!

Mrs Dibble said...

Queen Mary did rather raise the bar for the rest of we cross stitchers....garden chair, overcoat and little pill box hat....all now on my list of things to get!!!!!!!

Aussie Stitcher said...

The carpet is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the link. Over one million stitches WOW. I hope that your DH gets better soon.

Lhassa said...

Une merveille véritable Très Très Beau travail du!