Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The End is Coming

The end is so near with Betsy Davis. As you can see I am now working on the black background. I don't know if you can see it, but the urn is outlined, I just have to fill it in. I decided to wait till I finished the background to do this.

So what remains in the black background, fill in the urn and then of course there is around 10 rows on the bottom which includes Betsy Davis's name. I still think that she will be finished in around 2 weeks time. I still can't get over how fast I have finished this sampler.
Well, what an amazing day it is here in New South Wales. We are in the middle of a huge dust storm. Everything outside is covered in red dust, which turns to mud when it is wet. I am sure owners of car wash establishments are jumping up and down today with glee.
We awoke this morning earlier than normal as my youngest son had to be at school very early as his year were going on a school camp for 3 days camping in tents. Not a good idea at the moment I might add. There was this orange glow all around and you just couldn't see that far ahead. The Blue Mountains are the Red Mountains today.
Anybody flying into Sydney today would have been so disappointed as all the well known icons e.g. Harbour Bridge and Opera House were not visible.
I know that the planes were either delayed, diverted or cancelled. The Sydney Ferries weren't running at all. It is still extremely windy outside and I think this dust will be around all day. Guess who isn't doing their washing today.
I know while driving my Son to school this morning, people were ring the radio stations wondering if this was the end of the world. Well I am still here, so I guess it's not today.
I just realised that my subject for this post could be taken two ways lol. I am referring to the sampler of course.

14 comments:

Nancy said...

An amazing sampler! It is just beautiful. I can't wait to see your finish, and won't you love looking at this when it hangs in your home!

Melissa said...

So close! Then you get to start on another Betsey!

I hope the dust storm won't last too much longer!

Margaret said...

You're almost there! Yay!!! It's gorgeous! I saw a picture of the dust storm out there -- it looks just awful! Stay inside a lot!

Laura said...

What a masterpiece!!!! Amazing and gorgeous!

Unknown said...

What an odd phenomenon - do these dust storms happen often? I saw the pictures on the internet - it's so eerie looking. Good excuse to stay indoors and stitch :-)

Betsy looks wonderful - you really have just flown thru this project. Do you know where you are going to hang her?

Kathy A. said...

Wow, you have stitched up Betsy quickly. Looking forward to that happy dance.
We get dust storms in Arizona too just not red dirt. You can even feel the dust in the fibres in your nose when you try to breathe. Thank goodness they don't last long. We have had to detour because highways are closed due to the dust clouds.

staci said...

This is gorgeous and will be breathtaking when finished!!!

Deb said...

Sandra - I can't believe the progress you're making on Betsy - she looks better and better as you go on! I think that you are definitely going to make your goal and I can't wait to see it finished.

Wow, that's incredible about the dust storm. I can imagine it is causing some major headaches. Hope that it ends soon.

Carol R said...

You are close to an amazing finish!

Anonymous said...

Sandra,

You have made such great progress! Betsy is looking sooooo pretty!
I hope you are doing well.

Thank you for your kind kind comments on my blog. I always love to hear from you.

Glenna said...

There you are! I read your post the other day, meant to comment, and ran out of time. Thank goodness for the weekend. Betsy is absolutely incredible--what a huge amount of stitching that is--it would have taken me years. I can't get over what a focused stitcher you are, and how dedicated and un-flakey.

I saw the photos of the dust storm in the newspaper and online--kind of like living in the middle east!

I'd love to hear if any of the designs from market appeal to you.

Siobhán said...

You're zooming in close to a finish! It looks wonderful.

Faye said...

beautiful job and congrats on your near finish!! Love this one!~ Faye

Brigitte said...

It's very near the end and I'm already expecting the Happy Dance post.
We've seen the orange red Sydney on TV. Must have been really terrible to be outside and to breath. Not to mention all the dust getting into the houses ...